The right nutrition is a key to good health and longevity. This is true for all living beings, including our darling furry friends. Ancestors of modern domestic cats used to eat prey, so it is logical to assume that it is the optimal type of food for felines. However, in the modern circumstances feeding cats with live prey is impossible for many reasons. Store-bought raw meat is also not the perfect option. Firstly, it is not completely safe. Secondly, these animals are picky. Thirdly, it’s difficult to find an ideal ratio of proteins, fats, and carbs as well as calculate perfect amount of meat and other stuffs in your cat’s daily ration. It is much simpler to buy ready-made meals with clear feeding instructions included.
That said, not all kinds of ready-made food are equally good for your kitties. With so many cat food brands available, choosing the best one is not an easy affair. Experts believe that organic cat food is a great choice, as it is made from top-quality raw organic products and doesn’t contain any chemically produced components, flavoring agents, taste modifiers, GMOs, etc. In our review, we are going to tell about top healthy cat food brands that your feline will love.
The Top Pick: Taste of the Wild Grain Free High Protein Natural Dry Cat Food
This organic cat food has 4.4 stars on Amazon, while the number of positive reviews exceeds 1700. Taste of the Wild is an American company that produces pet supplies from the top-quality purely organic ingredients. This is all natural cat food with the share of crude proteins of 42%, crude fats – 18%, and crude fiber – 3%. It doesn’t contain any grain or soy and chemicals, which makes it perfectly suitable for allergic kitties or those with sensitive digestion. It fully supplies the pets’ daily need in Omega-3 as well as some vital minerals, such as zinc and selenium. What’s even more important, cats love it!
Taste of the Wild is recommended for daily use. The daily amount is calculated depending on the feline’s weight, age; its activity level. Mind that this natural cat food has a high nutrition value, so you don’t have to finish feeding with any other kinds of meals.
- Contains real venison/ salmon.
- Grain-free formula.
- Only useful vegetables & peas.
- Preserves live probiotics.
- Made in the US.
The Runner-Up: Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Dry Cat Food
In our rating of dry cat food brands, Natural Balance Limited ranks second. This product is oriented mainly to the pets with special requirements. Kitties suffering from allergy and those sensitive to particular ingredients will like this well-balanced food, as it comprises a limited number of ingredients. No wheat protein and a completely grain-free formula prevent a probability of negative reactions. Being an organic cat food, Natural Balance consists of plain components – meat, animal fats, some vegetable proteins in the form of green peas, essential vitamins and minerals. No synthetically produced components or artificial taste and flavor modifiers are used.
The formula of this holistic cat food includes at least 30% of crude proteins, 12% of crude fats, 5% of fiber, plus Omega-3 & Omega-6. The Limited series comes in 4 different flavors: chicken, duck, salmon, and venison. According to the customer reviews, it has a positive effect on skin and fur.
- All natural cat food without any artificial components.
- Four different flavors – to fit every taste.
- A limited number of ingredients.
- A large share of crude proteins.
- Suits for feeding allergic cats as well as those with digestion issues of different age.
Best Budget Pick: Purina Beyond Grain Free Recipe Adult Dry Cat Food
It’s a mistake to think that all organic grain free cat food brands are expensive. Some of them are quite affordable, especially if you buy them in large packs. Purina Beyond is a good example of inexpensive organic cat food containing only natural components of high quality, free of chemicals, taste and flavor modifiers. Apart from real Whitefish (which is the main ingredient), the product contains chicken meat, natural egg powder, vegetable proteins in the form of peas and pea starch, beef fat, fiber, as well as a range of minerals and vitamins. It is important that Purina Beyond has a zero-grain formula, which means it is free of wheat, corn, soy proteins, and cereals.
Purina Beyond has 4.5 stars on Amazon and over 700 positive reviews. Real cat owners say it has a good effect on the overall kitties’ health, skin and fur condition. Currently, a large package of 11 lbs will cost you less than $30.
- Made of real whitefish and chicken meat.
- Contains no grain/cereals (corn, rice, wheat, soy, etc.).
- Enriched with vitamins & essential minerals.
- Non-allergic composition.
- Only organic, chemical- and GMO-free components.
Best Organic Dry Cat Food: Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free Natural Adult
Our review would be incomplete without mentioning Amazon’s top seller – Blue Buffalo Wilderness organic cat food. It combines the nutritional value and health benefits of a real organic diet with the convenience of dry food. With 4.5 stars on Amazon and over two thousand testimonials, it is a leader among dry cat food brands. The main ingredients of all Wilderness receipts are organic meat, high-quality animal & vegetable proteins, animal fats and fish oils. The stuff is completely free of low-quality fats, synthetic proteins, cereals, chemicals, GMOs, and artificial flavors. This holistic cat food is approved by vets, appreciated by feline owners, and heartily loved by cats! The share of crude proteins & crude fats in it reaches 36% & 12% respectively.
Wilderness Blue Buffalo is oriented towards adult cats of all breeds. Being a fully organic, authentic meal, it has numerous health benefits, improves the state of pets’ fur and skin, strengthens bones and teeth; it supplies the need in essential vitamins, including Omega-3 and Omega-6.
- 100% natural holistic cat food.
- Only real organic meat is used – no by-products, skin, and bones.
- Contains up to 36% of crude animal proteins.
- No-grain formula is optimal for allergic cats.
- Five different receipts available to fit every taste.
Best Organic Wet Cat Food: BLUE Freedom Grain Free Wet Cat Food
Dry food is very popular, but some kitties have to keep a special diet because of digestion problems or simply prefer wet options. Our choice is BLUE Freedom flacked canned food. This is a premium-quality meal made of purely organic components – chicken meat without bones, broth, liver, vegetables, fish oil, egg powder, natural fiber, and a blend of essential vitamins. Melting wet flakes have a tender texture that is loved by felines. Of course, it has no synthetic ingredients, flavorings, or taste boosters. Also, no wheat protein, soy, or cereals are used, so the food will do even for allergic kitties.
If you are looking for the inspired by nature cat food, BLUE Freedom is the right choice. It is one of Amazon’s best sellers with over 180 positive reviews.
- Tender wet texture.
- Organic components of high quality.
- No artificial ingredients.
- Grain-free formula.
Who Should Buy Organic Cat Food
Turning to organics is more than just a modern trend. It is beyond argument that everything grown and produced in eco-friendly conditions, pure and non-modified, has a lot of health benefits. No surprise that loving and caring cat parents choose organic food not only for themselves, but for their darling creatures as well. However, there are specific cases when organic cat food is prescribed by vets. So, you may consider choosing one of the organic grain free cat food brands in the following cases:
- your cat is prone to allergic reactions;
- it has digestion problems, or is of senior age;
- you simply want your feline to eat the best natural cat food.
Important Features to Consider
Though there are a lot of dry cat food brands available, few of them supply truly organic products. Moreover, one can get confused with the words like “bio”, “natural”, “inspired by nature cat food”, and so on. In fact, not everything that is natural is organic. The food can be referred to as organic if all its components are produced in ecologically clean conditions. Organic products must not contain any chemically produced or artificial ingredients, as well as GMO, hormones, modifiers and other synthetic agents. When choosing the best organic cat food, consider the following aspects:
- The rules are the same as for the human food. Ingredients are listed from most to least, and the ratio of proteins/fats/carbs is presented in a separate chart. Ideally, the main component must be pure meat (not meat products, by-products, poultry, or animal proteins, but real meat). Other recommended ingredients include animal fats, fish oil, vegetables, and fiber. A good product can contain peas and egg powder. Additionally, the best organic cat food is usually enriched with microelements (zinc, selenium), vitamins, Omega-3 and -6 fatty acids, and probiotics. An important component is taurine.
- What breeds it is intended for. There are options for young, adult, and senior cats; for larger and smaller breeds, for active outdoor and lazy domestic felines; for hairless, short-haired and fluffy kitties, and so on. Usually, different options have different ratio of nutrients that are necessary for a harmonious development of a pet.
- Fat content. This is important if your cat is overweight or obese. In general, if the cat is passive, choose the sorts with a lower content of fat. The best natural cat food contains crude proteins and fats. The share of protein commonly varies from 30 to 40%, and the share of fats – from 10 to 20%.
- The manufacturer country. Keep in mind that genuine organic products have a relatively short shelf life. If they are produced overseas, chances are you won’t preserve them for long. That’s why if you live in the US, it makes sense to buy US-made goods.
- Your pet’s preferences. Tastes differ, and cats are picky – don’t forget about it. If you are not sure whether your kitty will like the food, buy the smallest package first.
If your feline has health problems or recently survived surgical operation, don’t forget to consult a specialist before making a purchase. A veterinarian will help you to choose the best organic cat food taking into account all the health aspects.